Monday, December 12, 2011

tonsils.

So, I went to Las Vegas in June 2010 for my friend's birthday. It was supposed to be a super relaxing weekend full of Diet Coke, lounging by the pool, and enjoying time with friends. However, on the second day, I started to get a twinge on one side of my throat. By the time we left, I had a fever over 102 degrees and couldn't even manage to drive us home. I stopped at Instacare on my way to my bed, where a strep test came back positive. I thought it was weird, since I've never had strep before, but filled my RX for antibiotics and went on my way, only to spend the next 24 hours in a state of the strangest stupor I've ever known. I still can't remember parts of it, I'm thinking probably because my fever was so high, but I would wake up in the bathtub, fully clothed with no memory of why I got in. I was so nauseated that I couldn't keep the antibiotics down, and my throat swelled to the point where I couldn't even talk! It was really freaky, so I went to another Instacare, hoping for an injection of antibiotics to get into my system. Instead, I was diagnosed with a tonsil abscess, which had to be drained in an ENT's office and I was given IV fluids for 48 hours, since I hadn't been able to keep anything down.

Crazy. So then, I thought that once I had been treated and taken my full 28 day cycle of antibiotics, that this ridiculous situation would be over. But since then, I have had tonsillitis about once every six weeks, always on that same side. So, after 18 months of dragging my feet, worrying, putting it off, and taking antibiotics x infinity, I have decided to say good riddance to those little suckers. Whenever you mention "tonsillectomy" to an adult, they cringe and wish you well. I am kind of afraid, but I am also afraid for my insides if I take yet another 14-day cycle of Augmentin. So, I will be going under the knife tomorrow at 1:30pm to say goodbye to them FOREVER.

I still blame Vegas, secretly.

No comments:

Post a Comment