Friday, February 28, 2014

Afraid.

So it's been awhile since I ran. November 9, to be exact. I ran the Haunted Half and felt great, but when I went to run 4 miles a few days later, my foot was in a lot of pain. I took a week off, then gave it another shot and ended up limping home because it was so sore. Saw a doctor, got a diagnosis, blah blah blah now it's three months later and I am really scared to run again.

My foot generally feels okay as long as I wear my orthotics. Days where I am on my feet a lot at work are worse, but I feel like that issue is resolved (hopefully). What I am more afraid about is the pain that runs down the back of my right leg. This has actually been going on since the half marathon too. I thought it was maybe just a strain from overuse (I climbed a LOT of hills during that race) but it hasn't gone away... And it gets sore when I do certain exercises at the gym, not just running.

So, like any foolish person with access to the internet, I googled it. Sometimes this is beneficial, and other times it makes you want to cry. Apparently the area that I am having pain is right where the sciatic nerve sits. I don't really know what to do about this. Do I make an appointment with my sports med doctor? A neurologist, since it's potentially nerve related? Ignore it and pretend like nothing is wrong?

Well, anyone who knows me knows which option I chose. (Spoiler alert: it's #3.)

But now it's three months later and I am still feeling the pain and I still don't know what to do. And next week I am going to start re-introducing short runs but I don't know if that's really that smart. But if I don't start running soon, I think I might just lose it.

Serenity now.

No comments:

Post a Comment